Sunday, July 9, 2017

Sunday reflection: I will give you rest

Image borrowed from a lovely blog
called A Glimmer of Sunshine
This Sunday's gospel reading seems like it's chosen to go along with summer vacation mode. Jesus says, "Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

A yoke isn't something we understand very well in North America with our mechanized farming and John Deere tractors. But my grandpa used yokes on pairs of animals... and this reading suggests to me that if I am yoked with Jesus, he's carrying the large ox share of the weight. A perfect image for summer relaxation, just walking along beside the One who lifts my burdens.

No comments: