Friday, July 29, 2011

#48/100... Learn to sing your favourite songs

Everyone can sing, especially with a bit of practice and the opportunity. Unfortunately, too many people have been told (incorrectly) that they can't carry a tune in a bucket by insensitive family members, friends or teachers. But given the right opportunity, those naysayers can be proven wrong! A friend of mine and her family joined a choir for non-singers, called A Joyful Noise. And you should hear all those non-singers. I attended a Christmas concert a couple of years ago where their version of Santa Lucia brought me to tears, it was that gorgeous! (I'm something of a music snob, so I'd tell you the truth if I had been losing dental enamel that evening.)

So, if everyone can sing, anyone can learn to sing their favourite song, except perhaps if it's a high-note Puccini aria in original Italian, and even then, with enough motivation and a score transposed to a lower key, it's probably doable. Fortunately, most of us favour reasonably singable songs, with good rhythm and solid lyrics, and even if we are unable to carry the melody on our own, what's important is the pleasure we get out of singing. It's a simple way to entertain ourselves, doesn't cost a thing to us or the planet, and if friends join in, it's even better!

There are also health benefits to making music with our God-given instrument, the human voice. A little vocalizing just for the fun of it can improve posture, release stress-reducing endorphins, open our respiratory passages, and improve our lung capacity by toning up our chest muscles and diaphragm. Singing can even boost our immune system as it increases our feelings of well-being and enhances our mood. I love to hear people singing when they think no one is listening. Even just catching sight of someone singing their heart out in their car on their way to work makes my day. So with all these positive impacts from a simple activity, why not use our vocal chords to lift up our hearts?

These days, eldest daughter sings numbers from the musical, Chess, middle daughter has Harry Potter themes going on, and youngest girl hums a Taylor Swift tune if I'm not mistaken. My favourite piece at the moment is one that I have yet to sit down and figure out on my guitar, though I can sing snatches of lyrics. My plan this summer is to learn it outright because I love it so much. I've posted it before, but I'll post it again so you can sing along if you like.


Sometimes I feel like a walking song catalogue. You know -- somebody says something, and a lyric pops into my head that follows their theme. If you're like that, too, I'm going to throw out a challenge for you. I'll toss out ten lines of lyrics, and see if you can give me the next line, or the title of the song it comes from. (Sorry, my sisters, this will be too easy for you!) And if you want to send me a line from your favourite song, maybe I'll add it to the bottom... and we'll all be singing to ourselves for the rest of the day.

1. And we're wondering when we'll be free...
2. For some reason I can't explain...
3. There's a land that I've heard of...
4. And when you're walking that walk it's good for your soul...
5. And I feel that when I'm with you, it's alright...
6. He's talking to Davey who's still in the navy...
7. Ain't got no cigarettes...
8. The lights are on but you're not home...
9. I've come to talk with you again...
10. Well it's a long way up and we won't come down tonight...

If you can figure all of these out, you're either my missing twin or a soulmate I haven't recognized up until now... hee hee! Happy singing!

P.S. Looking for more Simple Suggestions? Try here.

No comments: