Monday, March 25, 2024

Monday Music Appreciation #26 -- William Prince's Gospel First Nation

I'm not quite sure what it is about this man and his music, but the more I listen, the more I appreciate his talent. We only have one of his albums, not being people who use online music platforms much. That one album is his 2020 recording, Gospel First Nation, which was a CD gift from our eldest. 

Gospel First Nation been a companion for Lee and me on most of our recent road trips to Lethbridge, with its fittingly reflective Sunday morning music as we head home. It's gotten so Lee and I really enjoy singing along, and maybe that's because the relaxed background vocals and simple melodies make it feel a bit like a family sing song, or an old Kris Kristofferson record that my parents had, Jesus Was A Capricorn.

William Prince took home a Juno music award last night for Contemporary Roots Album of the Year for his recording, Stand in the Joy. I have yet to hear it, but once this Holy Week -- the busiest week of my year -- is over, I plan on finding William on Spotify and having a good sit-down-and-listen session.

In the meantime, here's the title track of the CD that we play in the car on Sunday morning road trips. It's a gentle, wistful, and beautifully-filmed video that speaks to the realities of life in First Nations communities. In the midst of this very busy week, I'll admit to appreciating the image of Jesus living "peaceful, in a house without any kids, in Fisher Bay, Manitoba." Enjoy. 

No comments: