Monday, October 16, 2023

Monday music appreciation #15 -- Danse Macabre

Have I mentioned lately that I love my job? Being an usher at the Francis Winspear Centre for Music (why doesn't his wife Harriet get any credit??) is bringing me back into contact with so much wonderful classical music!

On Thursday and Friday, Maestro Bill Eddins, Concert Master Robert Uchida, and the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra put on wonderful evening performances that included Camille Saint-Saëns' wonderful Danse Macabre, a perfect piece as we head towards All Hallow's Eve. I've always loved it as I'm a sucker for the "rattling bones" sounds that come from certain percussion instruments.

Wanting to share it with my readers, I went looking for videos, and found this one of an orchestra of very young musicians from Czestochowa, Poland. No offense to Robert, Bill, and the ESO, but this video below is my new favourite version of Danse Macabre! These young people are a wonder!! Enjoy!!

No comments: