Thursday, July 28, 2022

Simple Suggestion #285... Build a garden blanket fort

Remember playing in blanket forts as kids? I think my mom is the queen of blanket forts. The ones she made with my kids were truly awe-inspiring.

Why am I thinking about this today? Well, it's over 30 degrees outside this afternoon, and that fact reminded me of the online workshop I took a while back that talked about how to climate-proof our gardens. Not that we can really climate proof anything... we're at the mercy of weather patterns that do as they must, that are only getting more and more challenging to live through in so many parts of the planet.

When the weather gets this warm, a garden can easily sunburn, so it's a good idea to move tender plants into the shade when possible. Failing that, we do what we can to soften the burning rays, and my solution this morning was to build backyard blanket forts for my tomatoes and peppers. Everything else will have to tough it out until the sun goes down and I can water again.





Climate change is real, and it's hard to watch the devastation it's wreaking on different parts of the world right now. About the only things we can do are to try to reduce our creation of greenhouse gas emissions, disengage from consumerism as much as possible, and source our food locally when we can in order to build up local producers so that we have them to fall back on as it becomes more challenging to ship food across the globe. I hope. 

Well, actually, there are hundreds of other things we can do, too, if we choose to live more simply. I started this list of Simple Suggestions back in 2011, and it grew and grew... If you haven't checked it out yet, it hasn't gone anywhere, though I've forgotten to add to it for at least a year!

If you're a gardener, I hope you already know this handy tip. For the time being, my tomatoes and peppers are protected until the weather moderates, and I'm trying to keep cool while praying for more temperate weather. 

God, help all the people and places that really need relief.

Looking for more Simple Suggestions? Click here.

No comments: