Sunday, May 8, 2022

Oh Mother How Pretty -- A lullabye for Mother's Day

For Mother's Day this year, I'm remembering a lullabye I used to sing to my kids. I'm not sure if they remember how I used to bring my guitar into their bedrooms sometimes and sing to them -- there are so many things moms remember that their children never will. Do mine remember this song, I wonder?

I'm getting to be an old mom now, with a stiff chording hand and picking fingers that sometimes fall asleep as I try to play. They just don't navigate my guitar as well as they used to, so it's time to record Oh Mother How Pretty as I learned it in my teens from Joan MacIsaac, a wonderful folk singer here in Edmonton.

This is a small gift to my kids for as long as these moodlings remain, and a love song for my mom, too!

Happy Mother's Day to all moms, and to all those who nurture the people in their lives even if they aren't moms. You know who you are.


No comments: