Saturday, October 3, 2015

Celebrating the original Francis

This is the eve before the feast of Saint Francis of Assisi, my favourite saint, and if you've been following these moodlings for a while, you know that he's often mentioned here. I just can't resist any opportunity to plug someone who followed Jesus as closely as Francis did, loving creation and those on the margins.

Today I'm leaving a prayer attributed to Saint Francis -- recorded by a beautiful Sikh musician. I can't hear Snatam Kaur's version of the Prayer of Saint Francis without the tears flowing -- it's one of those melodies that moves my soul, and I suspect Francis would be delighted that his prayer is being prayed in Punjabi music! The beginning chant translates as follows:

Aad Sach, Jugaad Sach
(True in the beginning, True throughout the ages)
Haibhay Sach, Nanak Hosee Bhay Sach
(True here and now, O Nanak, God shall forever be True)

The rest is in English. Plug in some headphones, close your eyes, let the music flood your being, and enjoy... Have a happy St. Francis Day tomorrow!

No comments: