Sunday, May 19, 2013

One of my very favourite songs for a Sunday

Here's one I had completely forgotten. I once had a Working Girl soundtrack cassette, but alas, in the many years since the tape wore through, I lost track of this incredible tune... until my hubby took me out for lunch yesterday, and it played over the restaurant's sound system, evoking the same feelings as when I heard it for the first time in a darkened movie theatre, with tears running down my cheeks for reasons I couldn't name (the movie was just starting, and was certainly not a tear jerker!)

Carly Simon, who composed and performed it, calls it a hymn with a jungle beat, and for me, somehow, there's something primordial in the music, deeper than time, that fills me with a joy so immense that sometimes (often) I weep when I hear it. I'm glad Carly got the hat trick of Oscar, Golden Globe and Grammy for it in 1989-90. Let the River Run is a perfect tune for a Sunday, if you ask me, and I think I'm going to have to buy myself a new copy. Let all the dreamers wake the nation... Come run with me now; the sky is the color of blue you've never even seen in the eyes of your lover... Click play, and then the Watch on YouTube link... and enjoy! Kudos to the young lady who made the video!

No comments: