Tuesday, August 2, 2011

#49... Volunteer

Pick a cause, any cause! Because...

It's just too easy to get caught up in our own little lives and forget that there are many people and situations that could use a few spare hours of our time. A few friends of mine work with the Big Brother/Big Sister organization as mentors for children of single parents. My neighbour is a faithful canvasser for the Canadian Heart and Stroke Foundation. One couple I know is quite involved with Development and Peace, which I've moodled about in the past. A girlfriend donates blood on a regular basis, and often reminds her friends to do the same. Another friend who retired quite a few years back has offered English language lessons to some of our assistants in L'Arche Edmonton. And we have ten L'Arche board members who give generously of their time to our community.

Churches, schools, and social agencies, seniors' homes, hospitals and other organizations that aren't jumping into my mind at the moment will rarely turn away volunteers. I know this is nothing new, but I thought I'd include volunteerism in my Simple Suggestions because I believe that part of living simply and happily is making sure that there is time and space in our lives to offer our talents and energies in the service of others.

P.S. Looking for more Simple Suggestions? Try here.

No comments: