Monday, November 9, 2020

Remembrance in the time of pandemic

In these covid times, Remembrance Day, like everything else, will be a bit strange. Lee and I have been in the habit of trying to attend at least one of the day's events in the past, mostly outdoors. But with covid cases spiking lately, I'm not sure how we will commemorate our veterans and war dead in 2020. So far, all I've noticed is the usual uptick of news clips and online postings featuring soldiers' stories, sung versions of In Flanders Fields, and photos of places and people affected by the Great Wars.

No war is ever great, even though it brings out heroism and courage in people. So this year, I am simply praying for peace, and I invite you to join me. Last night I was able to livestream and record our annual Ecumenical Prayer for Peace with scripture, silence, and meditative chants from the Taizé community, and it seems a few people were online with me during the prayer. The pandemic meant that I was unable to pray and play/sing with our usual musicians' group and other friends that I am really missing -- I think once you pray with people, especially in a time of silence, there's something of an unbreakable bond forged. So online prayer was different, but still a time of peace to pray for world peace.

If you're not sure how to commemorate Remembrance Day this year, I offer this recording of last night's prayer for your use. It would almost be better as a podcast, as there's nothing to see but candles and icon. As I was quite distracted by the details of livestreaming last night, I intend to spend some time on Remembrance Day, to enter into the prayer's true spirit, to reflect on the losses of life that happen when wars occur, and to pray for peace to envelop our hearts, homes and world.

Join me?

No comments: