Thursday, April 30, 2020

Taken any Chalk Walks lately?

One of the things I have loved about this covid time is that suddenly, there are children in our neighbourhood. I mean, there have always been children, but now, because they aren't at school all day long and their parents aren't trucking them off to numerous extracurricular activities in the evenings, I actually get to see them hanging out where they live, or at least, see evidence of their presence.



The chalk art that seems to have sprung up everywhere overnight with the arrival of spring is a delightful give away. Hopscotches with 142 jumping places, long wiggly lines from one end of the block to the other, creative "obstacle courses" made by moms for kids to follow instructions like, "spin here," "do five jumping jacks," and "RUN!" and greetings to elderly neighbours make me smile. Then there are the sweet self portraits, cartoon characters, and hopeful messages about love. "We're all in this together" seems to be a popular line. So is "Stay home, stay safe."


On our after supper dog walk these last two evenings, my husband and I came across some grown ups on their knees with chalk in hand. When I commented to a young man how happy I was to see him creating an art walk, he laughed and said, "Mike, the guy across the street, is calling it The Chalk Walk." Mike is probably my age, and he uses stencils for song lyrics. 


This afternoon, my daughter and I took a walk to record a few images before it rains. It's enough to make me want to go out and find some more sidewalk chalk! But it's the little kids' art that I really love, and I'm staying home... except for my chalk walks! 


No comments: