Sunday, June 28, 2020

Sunday Reflection: Forever I will sing

Today's reflection is brought to you by
Psalm 89.

Even when singing is not allowed,
I sing of your love in my head,
O God,
and will forever.

When I am far enough from others, 
my mouth cannot help but make music
to proclaim your faithfulness to me.

Your love is clearly seen
in the necklaces of diamond galaxies
with which you festoon our skies,
galaxies that took billions of years to form,
billions of years of your faithfulness.

I am blessed,
who see and celebrate your love,
who walk in its light and beauty,
who recognize your face
in all that you have made.

I rejoice in your creation
and celebrate your goodness.

You are my strength in these challenging days.

I don't know your plan,
but I trust,
I praise,
I sing of your love for all your creatures.

We belong to you,
Holy one,
and entrust our future
to your care.

Help us to care for each other,
to be your hands and feet, 
to bring to fruition
the common good
on this,
your earth 
and our common home.

+Amen.

* * * * * * *

Lately, in these pandemic times, I have been finding it hard to find God's presence in the struggles we face. We are in the middle of what I would call a "wake-up call," yet many of us refuse to wake up. The huge push to "get back to normal" is causing a second wave of the virus in many parts of the world, and here in North America, the insistence on personal freedom over the common good means that many people are ignoring the precautions (like simply wearing a mask) that can make a difference for so many others.

If we can't work together on reducing the effects of this virus, how will we work together to handle other serious challenges like climate change and leveling the playing field for the poor of our planet, who seem to bear the brunt of global catastrophes?

Even as I wring my hands over our world's difficulties, I know who is in charge. The force in the universe that brought everything to be, the force that sustains all things right down to the breath in my lungs and the beat of my heart, is still here, still with us, still waiting for us to do the right things. So we continue, in hope, and I find my comfort in singing.

Here's another of my favourite Taizé chants, sung in Portuguese. Today I raise it for the people of Brazil, India, Russia and the US who are experiencing the highest numbers of covid cases these days. I sing it for all those who pretend that there is no virus, or that it will have no impact on their lives. I have posted the English lyrics below, if you would prefer to sing them. Or join me in singing the Portuguese:

Cantarei ao Senhor enquanto viver;
louvarei o meu Deus enquanto existir.
Nele en contro a minha allegria.
Nele en contro a minha allegria.


I will sing to the Lord my whole life long.
I will worship my God as long as I live.
For the Lord brings joy to his people.
For the Lord brings joy to his people.

No comments: