Friday, March 29, 2019

Take Earth Hour deeper...

Image result for earth hour 2019

Just a wee reminder to my readers that tomorrow, March 30, from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. is the 12th annual Earth Hour. Earth Hour has been a mostly symbolic action to reduce our impact on the planet by turning off the lights for an hour once a year.

But given all the climate change related disasters in the past year, it's time to go deeper with our climate action. It can be as simple as questioning our every use of electricity. Do I need to boil an entire kettle of water, or could I warm just as much as I need? How many lamps or lights do I need to use in order to accomplish my tasks at present? Does my computer (or other gadget) need to be plugged in 24/7, or could I put it on a timer? These are small considerations, but any way that we can reduce our energy use saves us greenhouse gases in the long run.

There are always ways to conserve energy. What will you do during Earth Hour? And beyond?