Friday, February 13, 2015

What a little yarn can do...


Shadow has found himself a sunbeam, and I'm doing laundry this morning, and finishing a project. For Christmas, I got my honey some 10 lb (4.5 kg) weights, second hand. They were a bit rusty and rough, so I found some yarn left over from a toque making project and covered the lumpy and bumpy ends of the barbells. They look a little like flowers or something now. I asked my man if perhaps he wanted me to find a different colour, but his comment was, "These will wake me up in the mornings!" so nothing extra was spent to renovate the weights. They won't be scratching any surfaces, at least. Now we'll see if he actually uses them...









I get a charge out of the amazing projects some people come up with using a little wool. In downtown Edmonton last winter (or was it the winter before?) Robertson Wesley United Church had a whimsical display around their building, with a few trees covered in knitting and crocheting, and a woolen sign on the fence saying, "Communknitty."


In a similar style, the tree above is crocheted, a definite double-take maker, part of a fundraiser for victims of domestic violence in Indiana, in which artists designed sweaters for 23 trees, and people voted for their favourites by donation to the fundraiser. Isn't this wild?!

Of course, trees and nature don't need embellishment, so I think I'll stick with practical projects. Have a good weekend, all!

No comments: