Tuesday, August 12, 2014

August garden report

It strikes me today that I haven't given a single garden report this summer for faraway family and friends. I'm almost afraid to because so many people I know have been hailed out, and it could happen here just as easily with global climate change creating these mega storms all over the place. But I braved the crazy mosquitoes to get these shots, so I won't be superstitious that this moodling will bring on bad weather. Here's what's going on in my yard, pictures in the order they were taken because I'm too hot to fuss about the order they're in...

Red peppers are still green...
Zinnias add a little colour...
My new favourite heirloom tomato, a Black Prince
(definitely a fruit, it's so sweet!)
Time to make some kale chips, yum!
Cukes are coming on fast and furious...
Strawberries are bigger than ever...
Squash and pumpkins are trying to take over the world...
I've never grown purple peas before (thanks for the seed, Darcy!)...
Carrots are doing well...
As are kohlrabi and beets...
Between Suzanna's herbs and Julia's tomatoes,
I think we might have some tasty bruschetta for supper tonight.
Already picked 4 gallons of beans, and there are more to come...
My favourite zinnias...
Cheerful heliopsis (false sunflower) near the front door...
Love those little monk's hoods...

And finally, the view from our "sitting stone." Unfortunately, if you sit very long, you have too many unwanted companions (mosquitoes). But I did sit and watch the bee balm's visitors (it's not named that for nothing!) until I got bitten. 

I guess that's the thing about organic gardens -- all creatures, great and small, are welcome! You included. Come visit, anytime!

No comments: