Sunday, January 5, 2014

Feast of the Magi (Epiphany)

Funny how much we take for granted that we know about the Magi... because they brought the gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh, it's assumed there was one magus per gift. The richness of the gifts seems to indicate that they were wealthy, but kings? And the fact that they came from the east (Iran, perhaps) and were following a star probably indicates that they were Zoroastrian seekers who read the sky for signs and portents more properly understood by mystics and prophets, rather than kings.

Whoever they were, they found the One they sought, and disappeared into history, showing the way, but leaving us to wonder about them, making it possible for writers like me to pen stories like Monica's Epiphany. Today, they remind us that redemption is not just for those who call themselves Christians, but for everyone on the planet, and, I would argue, for all of creation, from the smallest living thing to the largest whale. God became human in Jesus, and lives in each one of us for the good of all.

I think there must be some Celt in my blood, or maybe it's my husband's side rubbing off on me, but I love the sound of this video... and some of the pictures are really interesting. Happy Epiphany Sunday!

No comments: