Our garbage collectors work really hard, and their work often takes serious tolls on their bodies. But if ordinary citizens like you and me think about what we can do to make their jobs safer, no one gets hurt and everyone wins. So here's a quick list of things to keep in mind that can make life a lot better for your garbage guys:
1. Ensure easy access to your garbage area. If in an alleyway, keep the path between truck and cans clear. If on a street, try to keep vehicles parked away from collection points.
2. Make sure your cans have fixed handles. Moving handles can wrench wrists.
3. Stationary cans (without wheels) are less likely to cause back injuries.
4. Keeping bags under 40 lbs (20 kg) also saves backs.
5. Sharp things should be packaged in a way that they can't cut collectors. Put broken glass and other sharp items into labelled, puncture-proof boxes or containers.
6. Grasscycle and compost if you can. The guys really don't mind picking up FEWER grass clippings and leaves.
Here's a great little 4 minute video that tells you everything your garbage collector wants you to know. And even if your area doesn't have garbage collectors, giving some thought to your garbage now and then is good for the planet... but that's another moodling for another day.