Sunday, July 29, 2012

A supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Sunday song

It's been a couple of crazy weeks for me in the live-entertainment department. In other words, I've never seen so many shows in such a short time. First, Neil Diamond, then Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers. And on Tuesday night, the Broadway Across Canada production of Mary Poppins. Mary Anne, our neighbour, invited Julia and I to attend.

I was prepared to be disappointed, because how could a magical show like the 1964 Dick Van Dyke/Julie Andrews movie possibly work on stage? But DID IT EVER! The sets were absolutely fantastic (after an unplanned fifteen-minute intermission to work out a few technical glitches), the performers incredible, the orchestra excellent, and the music and dance revamped in a way that gave it even more energy than the original. It was so good that I decided to spend my little July paycheck so that my older girls could attend yesterday's matinee. They loved it, too!

Just have to share the piece that had the crowd roaring approval both times it was performed. They've got the old YMCA dance outdone eight and a half times over! Have a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Sunday!

No comments: