Sunday, July 22, 2012

A God moment with Neil Diamond

On Monday last week, my sister and I attended a Neil Diamond concert with our mom. It was a fun evening, listening to the soundtrack of our childhood, singing along to "SWEET CAROLINE... bah bah bah..." and marveling at the brilliance of a man who has written a lot of amazing music. Neil pumped out his tunes for over an hour and a half, and the audience ate it up. Marvelous to think that he's been making his music for longer than I've been alive... and that I still know the words to the songs from the records that Mom played over and over when I was small.

But what was really special for me that evening was when Neil was singing, "Play Me," and Mom turned to me and said, "I pray the chorus. I sing it to God." When the chorus came around again and I sang the chorus to God, my eyes swam with tears. What a beautiful prayer!

Since then, I've listened to the song several times, and realized that the whole thing is a prayer, if She can be God... "God was morning, and I was night time..." "You are the sun, I am the moon..." a beautiful invitation to God to make me into what She and He wants me to be.

That was my God moment this week. I don't think my mom will mind me sharing it.



1 comment:

Laeli said...

I love the idea of songs and prayers:)