Friday, June 1, 2012

A psalm for the Class of 2012

Last night our eldest daughter graduated from High School. It was a beautiful, wonderful evening, and the entire pew full of family and friends burst our buttons with pride, wept a few happy tears, and snapped too many photos. I could write pages about it, but I'm too misty-eyed!

For me, the high point of the evening was hearing our girl sing the gorgeous old Dameans' version of Psalm 16 at the graduation mass, one that my family has sung many times, and one that Christina loves. Her voice rang clear as a bell in the basilica... in a prayer that I hope can be taken to heart by all our graduates this year:

You will show me the path of life, and guide me to joy forever.
Keep me safe, O God,
You are my hope.
You alone will be my saving God.
You will show me the path of life, and guide me to joy forever.
You have taught me love,
You who fashioned all,
Wonderful indeed are your holy ones.
You will show me the path of life, and guide me to joy forever.
I will bless you, Lord,
you who counsel me.
Even in the night I rejoice in you.
You will show me the path of life, and guide me to joy forever.
Now my heart is glad,
my soul is filled with joy.
Never will my Lord abandon me!
You will show me the path of life, and guide me to joy forever.

May the Class of 2012 hold onto the promises in this psalm and be guided to joy. We love you, Christina!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you big time or writing this. I was fruitlessly searching the internet for a version of Ps 16 that I remembered from a long time ago. Many other versions were out there but I found what I was looking for in your posting. I hope you and your daughter are well and good.

Maria K. said...

I'm glad to be of assistance. It's wonderful to reconnect to music from the past, isn't it?

Rose M said...

Here we are five years later and I thank you so very much for this post. Like Anonymous above, I have been searching for this version and could not find it. I heard this version this past weekend at Mass and recalled it from years ago. I have been singing it in my head for a couple of days now. Thank you once again. I hope you and your daughter and family are well.

Maria K. said...

I’m delighted that you found what you’ve been looking for. It’s still one of my favourites!