Friday, April 13, 2012

A visit to the green room -- one month later

It's been almost a month since my spring planting started, so I thought I'd take you on a little tour of our back forty (square feet)... here's what you see from outside our green room. Grow lights, and some growing things...


64 tomato plants and two jalapeno peppers, to be exact.


The leeks are coming along...


but our lettuce experiment isn't much of a success. 
It's so leggy, I'm doubting we'll ever get a real salad...
So this morning I planted some in our outdoor cold frame, too.


Below is a little Moscow Heirloom tomato plant, seed saved since 1949. 
Yummy orange tomatoes in three months.


The tall ones below are Li'l Rubes, named for a dear neighbour 
who gave me the seed. Lovely little round red tomatoes, 
twice the size of cherry tomatoes.


And below is an Orange Russian. Seed saved from the late 1800s.


I love our green room. You can find me out there every morning, talking to and watering
 the plants, brushing them with my hands to make their stalks strong.
I'm delighted with how God makes things grow. Aren't you?

2 comments:

Laeli said...

Wow! I love all your "babies". They are looking good!

I'm going to buy mine as ready grown plants this year because my place is so dark. I tried to grown my own but between the lack of light and cats,,,yeah it wasn't pretty.

I'm excited to think about your garden! It's going to be beautiful and bountiful.

Maria K. said...

The only way to grow tomatoes indoors is to have a grow light -- and a room away from cats! Even my green room is too dark, so we have fluorescent lighting. I can save you a free plant if you like, Lael!