Sunday, February 5, 2012

Aurora Borealis for a Sunday

In Canada, we're blessed with beautiful, big skies in a lot of places. I'll never forget how, in August of 1980, I laid on the grass in my grandma's back yard and watched the light show of my life. Aurora Borealis, also known as Northern Lights, entertained my cousins and sisters and me for over an hour, blazing through the starry sky.

There have been lots of news stories of late about the havoc that recent solar storms are causing for satellites and cyberspace... but those same solar storms create beautiful skies like the ones in the short  "Visit Finland" video below. We don't need to visit Finland up here... just need a clear night. We even have a website where you can determine your likelihood of being entertained by Northern Lights. It will even send you an email on a "red alert" night. Check "Aurora Watch" out here, and if the lights aren't playing in a sky near you, enjoy this time-lapse video! Ours are never this spectacular because we're too far south...

1 comment:

Laeli said...

We are so lucky to see the things we see here on Earth. That video is stunning~