Thursday, October 20, 2011

#90/100 Simple Suggestions... Plan one vegetarian day a week

I'm not a vegetarian (yet), but wish I was. Even better, I'd like to be a vegan, but that means I'd have to take the time to learn a lot more about healthy veganism and how to meet nutritional needs without animal proteins. Take a cooking class or two. Learn how to use more herbs and spices and find sources for local vegan foods. It would require more time than I have at the moment, but it's something I aspire to someday.

Why? Because if I'm truly trying to live lightly, the fact is that the consumption of animal products uses too many of the earth's resources (if you tried one of those ecological footprint quizzes yesterday, you may have figured that out), a lot of them in the raising of food for the livestock, and feeding them until they reach an edible size. Plants, not so much, especially if we grow them ourselves or get them locally, which I try to do as much as possible. And veggies, done right, can be tastier than a chunk of beef anyday.

So today's suggestion is one that I would encourage even carnivores and omnivores to try. See if you can't have at least one day a week during which you eat more simply (read, without meat). We had that day yesterday. This is what I ate: for breakfast, toast with organic peanut butter, and crabapple jelly made by the boys next door (they're really nice, and so's their jelly). For lunch, a toasted cheese sandwich with homegrown tomatoes. And for supper,


 steaming hot and hearty beet borscht (our own beets, carrots and onions),
served with a dollop of sour cream,


yummy quinoa salad (with black beans and homegrown zukes and tomatoes),


and my daughter's whole wheat baking powder biscuits.

Simple, satisfying, delicious, and kinder to the earth and most animals
(with apologies to the cows who contributed the cheese and sour cream).

As my daughter often says in these days of plentiful garden harvest, it's no hardship to be a vegetarian. In fact, I prefer it. Actually, yesterday was my second vegetarian day this week!

P.S. If you want the recipes, I don't mind sharing these... 

P.S. Again: Looking for more Simple Suggestions? Try here.

No comments: