Wednesday, June 22, 2011

#28 of 100 Simple Suggestions... Turn off the television (or computer)

As I've mentioned before, I'm not much of a TV watcher. I can't seem to find anything in the how-many-hundred-channel-universe that I like to watch, vs. reading a good book or doing some creative writing, or playing with my kids, or walking/chatting with a friend, or working in my garden, and... the list goes on. But I do enjoy the internet, and admittedly waste too much time with it.

When I typed this moodling heading last week, a little light went on for me. I got to thinking about a conversation I had with my daughter earlier in the day about how I didn't have time to do something for her... and I realized that I hadn't done that favour because I had been sitting at the computer doing something totally useless (a word bubble game). Uh-oh. This is not living as purposefully as practitioners of Voluntary Simplicity do. I've been getting caught up in the irrelevant.

In other words, the internet has been cutting into my time too much. So I've made a resolution to turn it off earlier in the evening, and do the things that I never seem to have time to do because of it.

Are you finding that there aren't enough hours in a day? Do television or computers steal your time for more important, more valuable things? Join the revolution, and turn them off!

P.S. Looking for more Simple Suggestions? Try here.

No comments: