Friday, March 11, 2011

It's not Thanksgiving Day today, but...

This morning, I'm thankful for sunny skies and the diamond light glittering on the snow outside, and my ability to see them.
I'm thankful for a warm home (it's -23).
For the sound of birds (both outside my window, and in the living room -- Pebbles the budgie talking to himself) and my ability to hear.
For the sound of my washing machine working in the basement, and the fact that I am able to wash my family's clothes and hang them to dry.
For the hum of this laptop, and my ability to use it to communicate through reading, writing and speaking.
For the tulips that I know are waiting under the snow, and the thought of the tomato seeds that I will soon plant and watch grow.
For my body and its strength and health.
For my family in all its strengths and weaknesses, joys and sorrows.
For the safety of my cousins in Japan (and with prayers for everyone affected by the earthquake, everyone in Libya, everyone who needs a prayer).
For everyone whose lives touch mine.

This week I read a story about a man who, when he woke up every morning, laid still in bed until he came up with ten things for which he was thankful. That's a pretty great way to start the day! When we think about all the blessings for which we can be grateful, life is beauty and wonder.

For what are you thankful?

No comments: